The Smithsonian news was great.
Also had great timing, as my grad seminar *just* finished a week on open.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 10:10 PM Paul Blackman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear Cable.
> Always good to hear from you.
> Sad to hear of the death from COVID 19.
> Very good news about Smithsonian.
> There is a photo of a rather dapper looking chap in a suit who resembles
> you! :-D
> Good going.
> Cheers
> Paul
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 10:44 PM Cable Green <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings Open Education Colleagues:
>>
>> With all the bad COVID-19 news (my Governor declared a "state of
>> emergency
>> <https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/485303-inslee-declares-emergency-in-washington-state-after-first-us-coronavirus>"
>> yesterday), I want to share some good news.
>>
>> Creative Commons (+Wikimedia, Google Labs, Smithsonian's OA team and
>> more) helped the Smithsonian adopt an open access policy and dedicate 2.8
>> million works into the public domain using CC0
>> <https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/>.
>>
>> ... and it was good fun to meet and discuss
>> <https://twitter.com/cgreen/status/1232646144452374528> the Smithsonian's Open
>> Access Initiative with Secretary Bunch.
>>
>>    - CC Blog post
>>    <https://creativecommons.org/2020/02/27/smithsonian-releases-2-8-million-images-data-into-the-public-domain-using-cc0/>
>>    - Twitter
>>    <https://twitter.com/creativecommons/status/1233042667157819392>
>>
>> Warm regards,
>>
>> Cable
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cable Green, PhD
>> Interim CEO
>> Director of Open Education
>> Creative Commons
>> @cgreen <http://twitter.com/cgreen>
>>
>> --
>> email to [log in to unmask]
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iol-network/CAAve8DLtbLmyLAx4shxDTAmUHj96jY%2BbZzxWaeffgrV8meccyQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iol-network/CAAve8DLtbLmyLAx4shxDTAmUHj96jY%2BbZzxWaeffgrV8meccyQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> "If you speak to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his
> head. If you speak to him in his own language that goes to his heart"
> Nelson Mandela
>
> Paul U.E. Blackman B.A. (hons), M.D.E. Dip. Ed.
> Director (Ag)
> Barbados Language Centre
> Barbados Community College
> Howell's Cross Road
> St. Michael BB11058
> BARBADOS
> Tel: 246-426-2858 xt 5325
> Direct Line: 435-3384
> Mobile: 246-262-2775
> Skype:pblackman.bcc
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Web: http://barbadoslanguagecentre.com/
> Web: http://bcc.edu.bb/Divisions/LanguageCentre/
> Facebook:
> [...]

Bryan Alexander
*Academia Next: The Futures of Higher Education*
https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/title/academia-next
http://futureofeducation.us/
http://twitter.com/BryanAlexander