See:

Trisha Greenhalgh (@trishgreenhalgh) tweeted at 0:18 pm on Sun, Mar 22, 2020:
There's science, and there's policy, and there's no simple link between one and t'other.
Many of us are doing rapid reviews at breakneck speed. I'm finding that spending time teasing out the EXACT question policymakers (or clinicians) want answering saves time in the long run.
(https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/1241700820237914119?s=09)

It is very sad that this is still true. Commissioning policies often include little evidence, not even as appendices. The evidence has been “picked up” by those making decisions. And it is our job to ensure that the evidence they “pick up” is the best evidence and becomes part of the mindlines they use when developing policies (1).  Increasingly this is through being part of the team, and supporting mobilisation of knowledge. This has happened to great effect in the acute sector through clinical librarians, to a much lesser effect to policy makers, I suspect because it uses different skills, and is out of our training and comfort zone. The tools are there –https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/knowledge-management/.

  1. Mindlines: making sense of evidence in practice, John Gabbay and Andrée le May, British Journal of General Practice 2016; 66 (649): 402-403. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp16X686221

But perhaps not just at the moment – I think everyone has something else on their mind right now.

Anne

Anne Gray

Knowledge Officer

Arden & GEM Commissioning Support Unit

M: 07557849898

E: [log in to unmask]

W: ardengemcsu.nhs.uk

626D5646 6E988244 6C77D4F2FEABF1D0

8002C85E

To unsubscribe from the HLG-MEMBERS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=HLG-MEMBERS&A=1