Dear All
We've given this a bit of thought over the last few years in Shropshire, and have looked to be clear in our user policy (https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/media/12294/her_user_policy.pdf ) etc with regards to the language we use around what the HER is, particularly in light of HEAN 12. As an integrated Historic Environment Team within a unitary authority, we have had to provide clarity to planners, planning policy officers etc. with regards to relationships between the HER entries and heritage assets.

----------------------
The HER in Shropshire holds records on a wide range of non-designated heritage assets. Our information and recording policy, as contained in the HER User policy, outlines our approach to the recording of such assets:
• The HER includes significant data relating to all periods, from the earliest human activity to the present day. There are no temporal limits on the information recorded in the HER – so assets post-dating 1850 (conventionally excluded from national programmes of formal designation) are increasingly being recorded.
• The HER clearly identifies the sources of information used to compile its records, and makes these sources available as part of our public archive.
• The HER forms an asset identification tool for all officers within the Historic Environment Team, including for Conservation Officers.

The HER is compiled rapidly, primarily working from desk-based resources. Information will be rapidly quality-assured to a consistent level, but it is recognised that this level of information will always require further assessment and validation if being used in an NPPF-compliant assessment.

It should be noted here that inclusion in the HER is not de facto recognition of the value and significance of a heritage asset, which will always be subject to further assessment through the planning process. Conversely, the HER cannot be assumed to have identified all relevant heritage assets within a study area.
--------------------
It's proved useful having this as a reminder for some consultants (ab)using your data, who should know better.

Hope everyone is staying safe and well in their makeshift offices.

Kind regards
Giles

Giles Carey
Historic Environment Records Officer, Historic Environment Team, Shropshire Council | 01743 254619

General Historic Environment Record (HER) information: http://new.shropshire.gov.uk/environment/historic-environment/historic-environment-record/ or email [log in to unmask]

Please see our website for our HER quick user guide.
For details of what we record, and how to access records, including our charging policy for commercial search services please refer to our HER User Policy.

* Search the HER online: on Discovering Shropshire’s History: http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/search/advanced/ or as part of Heritage Gateway: http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/gateway/  (supplied for information purposes only; contact the HER for a full search).

For information about Coronavirus click here/image below
[https://newsroom.shropshire.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/catch-it-1.jpg]<https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/>