Catherine and all

Here is what we have told students in Durham. We are fortunate to have some good geology nearby so this may not be very adaptable for others....

"As you are aware, the University has prohibited all field trips until further notice and following Government advice, the teaching team foresees that it is very unlikely that we would be able to provide you with a replacement of the Spain field class. This course would have ultimately given you a revision of current field skills and new field skills to complete your independent mapping this summer. As such, we are, with great regret, forced by the current circumstances into cancelling the mapping dissertations this summer.

To address the ability to complete the Fieldwork Geological module and your Mapping Dissertation we have two plans.

Plan A – Fieldwork is permitted in September/October.

In Late September, we will run a field trip to areas along the coast from Siccar Point (SE Scotland) to Flamborough Head (Yorkshire) that will provide you with all the skills that you would have practiced and learnt in Spain. It may surprise you to learn that this is world class geology and that we also have significant detailed research and teaching experience in these areas.
Following this trip another trip will be run. This trip will be for you to complete an independent mapping project. You will all be mapping the same area or areas (if we are able to split the group). This area will also be along the North-east coast. The mapping would then be written up as a report with fair copy map. During the independent mapping, members of staff will visit to provide you with learning support where needed.

Plan B – Fieldwork is NOT permitted in September/October.

If we find ourselves in this position then the delivery of GEOL2191 and the mapping dissertation will utilise computer-based virtual mapping exercises. This will potentially have two parts: a field skills training element using a series of 3D virtual outcrops and data taken from key localities in SE Scotland, Northumberland and Yorkshire (i.e. the same area where the real trip will be going); and a virtual field mapping exercise which will be based at a location still to be determined, but it could be anywhere in the world. This would involve virtual data gathering, data processing and interpretation and the construction of a geological map and writing of a dissertation report.

Note that we will be developing these virtual resources whatever happens with respect to Plan A, so the training elements developed here will also be used to support the fieldwork should it go ahead, i.e. you will get the benefit of being able to use digital/virtual data resources in a way no group to date has been able to do. This will be a great enhancement to your skillsets."
Best wishes to all in the current madness.....

Bob Holdsworth

Prof Bob Holdsworth,
Rock Mechanics Laboratory,
Dept of Earth Sciences,