Hello everyone,

In this time when everyone is having to deliver content to our students remotely, we have faced the challenge of sending and receiving map and stereographic projection exercises, usually done on paper, when many of our students don’t have a scanner at home, and some don’t have a printer.

I devised a way of doing some of these constructions within Powerpoint (which all our students have access to).

I have shared links here, to a powerpoint file with basic tools (on-screen ruler, protractor, Schmidt and Wulff nets), and a movie showing how they can be used.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsd8gjasbmlqgem/GeologyTools04.pptx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/unvazqscd0vn2an/PlottingPlane03.mov?dl=0

We haven’t actually tested these yet with the students, but I’m sending them here in case they prove useful.  Suggestions for improvement are most welcome!

I’d also be interested to know if they work in Google Sheets, Open Office, and other free alternatives.

Stay well, everyone

John

John Waldron, Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences,
Mail: 1-26 Earth Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2E3.
T:780-492-3892. F:780-492-2030. Office: CCIS 3-022. email: [log in to unmask]
(Spam filters provided by Google to the university may
reject some sources of email.  If this happens, try [log in to unmask])