The concept of ‘gold standard’ is too narrow and imprecise. The term Covid-19 applies to a continuous process from its contraction, incubation process, symptomatic viraemic stage +/- complications to either recovery or death. Underlying this are the body’s immunological, reparative and homeostatic response that can be diagnosed independently and supported (eg ventilation for respiratory failure).

There will be different  ‘gold standards’ for these different ‘stages’ and complications which actually merge into each other. These different stages can be confirmed by different ‘sufficient’ diagnostic criteria that are man-made (eg a positive PCR is considered a sufficient criterion for the viraemic phase). Any sufficient criterion can be a gold standard that confirms Covid-19 but the absence of any one alone cannot exclude. There can also be man-made ‘necessary’ criteria that have to occur so that their absence excludes by definition and convention. These concepts apply to all diagnoses and diseases of course.

Huw