Hello everyone!

I had to find an article from the Newsletter to scan for a colleague and
realised, yet again, what a very useful publication it was. A real tragedy
that it no longer exists – after all, it carried notes re events, re
published articles and books, articles by researchers from all over the UK
and a bio of a ‘historic figure’ in each edition. You certainly didn’t have
to be an academic to have your article published!  [I was the editor from
#1, Sept. 1991 until #46, December 2006; the Newsletter ceased being
published in 2012.]

Let me give you a couple of examples: Issue 32, Jan. 2002  Local records:
payments by the Duke of Somerset to ‘Mustapha, 11s 6d (30/12/1723) and 18s
10d, 17/4/1732 ‘Making shirts for Mushapha’…. Historic Figure: Constance
Cummings-John (1918-2000)

Issue 33, April 2002: article by John Evans, ’Nathaniel Wells of
Monmouthshire and St.Kitts: from slave to sheriff’…. Parish records:
Salisbury Cathedral burials register: Matthias the Morian, 22 February
1601/2…..

Issue #34 Sept.2002: article by Tanya Schmoller, ‘A Bit of Sheffield
History’… Updates: some additional info re the article ‘Coloured Medical
Men’ in #32….

A wonderfully wide-ranging publication.  We need it reinstated.

I have given all remaining copies to the Black Cultural Archives. I don’t
know how much BCA is selling them for. The price in 2002 was £1.50.

This Email list is maintained by the BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group.  Visit the BSA website for further information about the group: https://www.britsoc.co.uk/groups/study-groups/race-ethnicity-study-group/