Dear colleagues,

As you're no doubt already aware, yesterday we took the decision to close The National Archives to the public with a view to the vast majority of our staff working from home for the foreseeable future by the end of this week. This is in response to the latest government advice to combat the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. It is also a decision many of our sister institutions across the cultural and heritage sector made.

Colleagues across The National Archives are working at pace and innovating solutions as they go to ensure that we can provide at least a minimal service and point of contact<https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/our-archives-sector-role/contact-the-team/> for the archive sector. With this in mind, our website<https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/our-archives-sector-role/coronavirus-update/> has been updated with guidance regarding:

*       archives that have been appointed Places of Deposit to hold public records under s.4(1) of the Public Records Act

*       the funding programmes Archives Revealed and Collaborate & Innovate

*       Archive Service Accreditation, the UK-wide standard for archive services (conveyed on behalf of the Archive Service Accreditation partnership).

It goes without saying that your work and dedication in maintaining and preserving the nation's records is deeply appreciated and respected. In a time of national effort, we too can play our part: by protecting what is valuable, maintaining what is essential and by each of us working flexibly to carry out our duties in new ways.

I wish you all the very best over the coming weeks, and I would encourage you to stay in touch with colleagues here at The National Archives as much as you can while keeping safe.

Jeff James
Chief Executive and Keeper and Historical Manuscripts Commissioner
The National Archives

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- National Archives Disclaimer This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------