Dear Colleagues

Apologies for cross-posting.  I would like to invite those of you in the UK who use offsite storage for your archive collections to participate in a questionnaire about your experiences.  The questionnaire is at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/QTJXYZL . I will share the analysis of the survey with the sector as a thank you to those who participate and in the hope it will be of use to others.

I have developed this survey on behalf of a client. Its aim is to understand how and why archive services in the UK have used offsite storage for their collections and the subsequent impact. This will help my client assess off-site storage options for its own collections and advocate for good decision-making on this issue with key stakeholders.

The survey comprises the following 13 questions, most of which are tick box and should take under 15 minutes to complete. The two questions that might require a little time are:

Q4 What percentage of your collections are stored at the following drive times (Onsite, Under 30 minutes, 30 mins – 59 mins, 1-2 hours, Over 2 hours) from the main archive service location? Please provide approximate percentages of the volume of the collections e.g. Onsite 70% Under 30 minutes 30%.

Q5. How would you define the approximate usage level (High, Medium, Low) of the collections stored at each of those storage delivery times?

The survey will close on Friday 3 April at 5pm.

If you have any questions please contact me at [log in to unmask] / 07719 609894.

Many thanks in advance for contributing.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Oxborrow-Cowan MSc, RMARA
Director and Consultant Archivist

Elizabeth Oxborrow-Cowan Associates Ltd