Conditions in this stretch of salty desert are so extreme that almost no
animal or plant can survive there. But it was ideally suited for what Iran
wanted — an underground chamber for the country’s first nuclear detonation.
Photos and measurements were taken and then stashed away, to await the time
when the bomb was nearly ready for testing.

The tunnel was never constructed, but 17 years later the images and surveys
still exist, part of a recently unearthed trove of secret Iranian nuclear
documents. The records, now being studied in major Western capitals, are
drawing fresh attention as weapons experts seek to answer a suddenly timely
question: How quickly could Iran build a nuclear bomb if it decided to do
so?

https://wapo.st/2VVDAVg
https://wapo.st/2VVDAVg+

--