Dear List Members,

We would like to invite any repositories that are not yet on the Archives Hub to consider contributing descriptions, and current contributors to think about uploading more content.  We also have the option for you to upload descriptions of 'Online Resources' - see below.

It is a difficult time just now, as repository doors are closed and most of us are working from home. So, this could be a good time to think about something like this, which you might be able to do from home.

The Archives Hub (https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk) is an aggregation of descriptions, including images and links to all kinds of physical and digital content. It represents over 350 institutions and rising. It gives researchers the opportunity to quickly find the greatest range of archival resources across the UK. You may like to read more about our value and impact:  https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/value/   https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/impact/

One of our key principles is to create re-usable, interoperable data, so we have set up data processing routines for different sources of data.  This standardisation of data means that we can provide all descriptions to the Archives Portal Europe (http://www.archivesportaleurope.net/)

In order to contribute to the Archives Hub

*You can export from a number of Archival Management Systems:

We have been working hard to set the service up to take exports from archival management systems, which is a big challenge given the variations in systems and in how people catalogue.  We can never be sure what will be involved in getting the descriptions of any one repository into the Hub, because it depends upon the data structure, use of fields, consistency and quality. But we are now taking descriptions from many institutions that use Calm, and from several institutions that use AdLib.  We have harvested from AtoM and Epexio, and we are looking at ArchiveIndex and a number of other systems.  Sometimes it can take a few weeks or even months to analyse and work through the data from a contributor, but increasingly we can upload the data almost immediately.  Once we are happy with the processing, we give you access to our admin interface so that you can upload, as well as un-publish and re-publish.

Exporting your descriptions to the Archives Hub:  https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/archivesystemexport/  (there are links to pages for various systems).
You Tube videos on exporting from Calm: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpD6EYHon8zAEAnD09bmUvDGauSolp744

*You can use our EAD Editor which is free and available via a browser:

Our cataloguing tool, the EAD Editor, is a form-based interface (not requiring any knowledge of EAD).  It creates good quality, interoperable data.  It includes many features to support controlled vocabularies and use of standards, and has a VIAF lookup for including global unique IDs for people and organisations. Once you submit a description to the Archives Hub it will be live within an hour.  You just need an archon code, and then we can set you up and provide you with a login for the Editor. You can create descriptions at your convenience - collection level or multi-level, summary or detailed - and submit them whenever you are ready.

The EAD Editor and Guide: https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/eadeditor/
Online tutorials for the Editor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpD6EYHon8zAsAbn1jvgJEbTzMpGLUhse

*You can contribute Online Resources:

Online Resources include any resource that is available on the Web and that represents archives: https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/?tab=themes.  It might be an online exhibition, a subject-based portal or an interpretation or narrative on on archive.  Think of it as any resources that people looking for archival sources might find useful (other than our traditional catalogues).  You can use our EAD Editor to submit Online Resources, but if this is impractical for you, please email us and we should be able to create the description for you. As a minimum we need a URL (which we can use as the reference), administrator, title and description, preferably with subject terms, to aid discoverability.

Read more about Online Resources: https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/contributingonlineresources/

We would love to hear from any repository that would like to contribute to the Archives Hub. You may be ready now, you may not be ready for some time but want to know more and maybe join our contributors' list.  Please email [log in to unmask] (our contributors' helpdesk).

See all Archives Hub videos on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0EcxTuVt2IR5FkN9M9Pvsw?

With best wishes,
The Archives Hub Team

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk
Twitter: @archiveshub​​​​​​​
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jiscarchiveshub/

Jane Stevenson
Archives Hub Service Manager

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number. 05747339, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: 4 Portwall Lane, Bristol, BS1 6NB. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 02881024, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: 4 Portwall Lane, Bristol, BS1 6NB. T 0203 697 5800.

For more details on how Jisc handles your data see our privacy notice here: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/website/privacy-notice