From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Zak Holden
Sent: 15 March 2020 18:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archives and Coronavirus in the United Kingdom

Colleagues,

I write under a pseudonym and ask to keep discussions open using the boards and twitter. I want to enquire as to how many archive services have temporarily closed their public services in the face of the virus outbreak within the United Kingdom.

I am in an extremely difficult position. Being the only archivist for an organisation, there is pressure on me to keep the service open unless otherwise instructed / changes to government advice. However, I have a growing pressure to work remotely due to real family concerns. Unfortunately that will result in the closure of archive services certainly until after Easter. My difficulty is I have zero staff support to maintain any service, and my salary is linked to maintaining that service.

I’ve already followed Government advice and asked stakeholders I know who have just returned from Europe, and those with a medical history, to postpone visits until after Easter. Indeed, on Monday I shall be recommending to management our closure until after Easter because the risk is growing for me personally & our stakeholders.

Especially since many of our stakeholders are over 60, and we share a building with multiple workers with equal chance of exposure. Our services are also used by large amounts of local and international students from various universities. Like everyone, I am also worried about my salary by taking this action!

As a profession, we all need to seriously question whether it is appropriate to be maintaining a justified open public service in present circumstances. It would be helpful if good archivist souls can use public forums such as twitter to have this conversation, or report if any archive services are closed. I have seen many American institutions use twitter to announce closure periods.

I feel safer in justifying my actions if a number of fellow professionals / archive bodies are performing the same action. At the moment I might be imagining this, there feels like a desperate need to remain open within the United Kingdom, unless people actively stand up and close up shop (much like football clubs have). It’s just the right thing to do.

How many people use the London Underground to access the National Archives. How many of our visitors use public transport, who do they come into contact with. Equally how do we travel, who do we come into contact, is it reasonable to assume we won’t transmit the virus to our stakeholders?

Best wishes
Zak

Visit our website at http://www.childrenssociety.org.uk

If you have received this email in error and are not the intended recipient please notify the Email Administrator, using the email address: [log in to unmask] Please note that access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorised, and we would appreciate you respecting our privacy. Any disclosure,copying or distribution of a message by an unintended recipient may be unlawful.

This email is from the Church of England Children's Society
Company No. 40004-C England
Charity Registration No. 221124
Registered Office: Whitecross Studios, 50 Banner Street, London EC1Y 8ST
VAT Registration No. 626649317
Subsidiary Companies:
The Children's Society (Services) Ltd Company No. 4545124, The Children's Society (Trading) Ltd Company No. 885496
Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=archives-nra