****Apologies for cross-posting****

ANTHROPOLOGY AND COVID-19 RESPONSES

Rather than responding individually, could anthropologists make a more
effective contribution to an immediate crisis by working collaboratively
and comparatively? Might this have more impact than if everyone just posts
individual research and views?

This is a proposal to group together 20 or 30 anthropologists, staff or PhD
students, who would use their ongoing contacts with their research
participants to help keep the world informed about different local
circumstances and responses, from which others could then learn.

It would be based on fortnightly reports, that could be published
immediately as an online archive and would also provide material for short
comparative pieces/blogs, or any other format you prefer, designed for the
media or other forms of dissemination.

We propose an initial six research periods, each lasting a fortnight. Start
date to be confirmed. During this period those involved would just spend as
much time as they wish investigating the agreed topic.

This project is decentralised and open-access, we would archive the results
here at UCL, but individual participants can also archive these on their
respective websites if they wish. We will write blog pieces and reports
based on this information.

Our main goals are as follows:

1) A kind of citizen science where we collate ingenious and successful
then disseminate to other people who would benefit from those examples.

2) We will use this to educate people about the very different
circumstances of peoples around the world and the struggles they face, as
revealed by our research. The aim is to help people empathise with
situations very different from their own.

3) It is possible that there will be academic reflections subsequently, but
this is not our immediate aim.

We suggest that the reports are of any style and length you want, though we
suspect short reports are more likely to be used. Please ensure that all
sources are entirely anonymous. We will assume the enquiries are covered by
prior ethics permissions, if not, the onus is on you to deal with those
issues, as will be the subsequent responsibility.

Please add one sentence at the beginning of every report describing the
field from which this material has been garnered. This material is for
public consumption, so we suggest (but it’s only a suggestion) avoiding all
jargon
or words which would not be used by a high schooler, avoiding
anthropological terminology such as habitus or subjectivity, and instead
using just regular colloquial English. Please, if you can, also supply
visual evidence such as memes and photographs that help illustrate the
points you are making, again with consent. Finally, if people want to
volunteer to translate the final blog posts/reports into the languages
relevant to their fieldsites that would be very welcome.

SUGGESTED TOPICS:-

These would be selected topics with the aim of encouraging simultaneity,
i.e. everyone participating would provide materials on the same topic,
during the same fortnightly period. Of course, that does not preclude
people working on anything else at any other time individually.

1) Can you please find out how precisely people are gaining online
information about the virus and how they are using online platforms to
share this information with others. What strategies do they use to
establish trust in this information?

2) Can you find out about any local, community, family or individual online
might want to let others know about? Especially in regard to concern for
older people.

3) What seems to be the general attitude to the balance between care and
surveillance and the role of online in both of these? What do people regard
as the correct balance between care and surveillance in their own society,
in comparison with what they are hearing about from other regions?

4) How are people are using online education materials, either to employ
their time or for substituting for the loss of educational facilities at
schools and universities. Ingenious solutions that could be used by others
are particularly welcome.

5) Can you please find out about how people are using online to compensate
for the loss of direct intimate relations, including intergenerational
care, the expression of love, care and affection, dating and sexual
relations.

6) Can we report on the ways in which people struggle under these difficult
conditions, including government restrictions? How do they reflect on the
priorities, both of provisioning and life goals more generally? What moral
conclusions are they drawing from these experiences?

The material will be collated by Georgiana Murariu at [log in to unmask],
please contact her or [log in to unmask] for any questions. The plan is to
start this project when we have enough potential contributors to make it
worthwhile. Hopefully in the next week or so. Initially could you let
Georgiana know that you are interested in taking part. Feel free to
circulate this to other anthropologists.

--
Dr Matthew Lariviere
UKRI Innovation Fellow on Care, Ageing and Technology

<https://twitter.com/MattLariv>
[image: https://twitter.com/MattLariv] <https://twitter.com/MattLariv>
   <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mlariviere/>         [image:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matthew_Lariviere2]
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matthew_Lariviere2>

Fourth Floor, Interdisciplinary Centre of the Social Sciences
Faculty of Social Sciences
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
S1 4DP

E-mail: [log in to unmask] Phone: 0114 222 8359

*You may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not
feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern. *

AM is used to communicate with postgraduate & postdoctoral anthropologists
working in the UK and abroad to provide alerts to: new issues of the
Open Access Anthropology Matters journal, and events of anthropological
interest in the UK anthropology community such as conferences
and seminars or funding opportunities.

To join the list or view archived previous messages visit:                                             *
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters

If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all
those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1