University of New Mexico

*From:* Jonathan Dombrosky
*Sent:* Friday, February 14, 2020 2:39 PM
*To:* [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
*Cc:* KATELYN JO BISHOP <[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]>
*Subject:* Raptor Research Foundation Annual Meeting Participant Invitation

Dear Colleagues,

The annual Raptor Research Foundation meeting
<https://www.raptorresearchfoundation.org/conferences/current-conference/host/>
will be held in Boise, Idaho from October 4th through the 8th this year.
Katelyn Bishop and I felt like this would be a perfect opportunity to put
together a symposium on the archaeology of raptor remains (see our
symposium abstract below). More specifically, our goal is to showcase
archaeological research on human/raptor relationships and (when possible)
highlight how valuable archaeological data can be for raptor conservation
and management. With this in mind, we would like to extend an invitation to
you as a participant in this upcoming symposium. We have added you to this
initial list because we believe your research experience in the area would
add to the quality of the overall discussion on the value of archaeology to
the study of raptors in general.

The abstracts for the conference are due on April 30, but please contact us
as soon as possible if you are interested in participating. The conference
organizers need to know how much time to allocate for the symposium.
Additionally, if you can think of anyone who would be particularly
interested in participating in this session that is not on the list, please
do not hesitate to forward them this email and encourage them to contact
either myself or Katelyn Bishop (cc’d here).

Additionally, if you need support traveling to this conference, we strongly
suggest you apply to the “Wings to Fly” Travel Award
<https://www.raptorresearchfoundation.org/wings-to-fly-award/> as soon as
possible. The deadline for international travelers is February 29 and for
domestic travelers it is April 30. The organizers of the conference want to
promote as much inclusivity as possible and have strongly urged us to urge
you to apply for these travel funds. However, they did note that awards are
considered on a “first come, fist served” basis. So, please do not hesitate
to apply!

Thank you for your time, we’re looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Dombrosky and Katelyn Bishop

*The Human/Raptor Interface in Archaeological Research and Its
Multidisciplinary Potential*

Co-Chairs: Jonathan Dombrosky and Katelyn J. Bishop

The archaeological record is an unparalleled source of information
regarding the nature of human/raptor relationships through time and the
environmental context in which these relationships occur across the globe.
Presenters in this symposium highlight how the material traces of past
humans and raptors relate to more anthropological topics such as the social
organization, belief structure, behavior, and technology of past human
groups. However, when possible, presenters also emphasize how their
research can help with raptor conservation or how it reveals information
about past raptor behavior, their ecological niches, or larger landscape
histories. While archaeology is of interest to both public and academic
audiences, this symposium explicitly seeks to showcase and engage
biologists with archaeological perspectives to help facilitate
multidisciplinary research on raptors in general. There is strong potential
for archaeological research to situate present socio-environmental problems
and guide decision-making, and this is especially the case when such
problems relate to raptors considering the long coevolutionary history they
have with humans.