Hi Zooarchers,

I have two Iron Age cremation graves with animal offerings on the table. Among others, they include bones of piglets and I think on the season of pig farrowing and the burial. I wonder if there is some study on farrowing season in primitive domestic pig breeds similar to those that were kept during prehistory (free-ranging pigs perhaps). I have studies on wild boar reproduction, that suggest strictly seasonal, usually one to max. two farrowing seasons. Was anyone dealing with that question (for the Iron Age finds) more closely or can suggest further literature?

Thank you,
Zora