James - I forgot to say it might be worthwhile to do an online search for Jessica Grimm, a professional zooarchaeologist but who is now also running a business as an embroideress. Also Cluny Johnson, again zooarch professional, who keeps Shetland sheep and runs a craft textile business.  On Zoobook, one of the French contributors is/was a professional shepherd too (can't remember his name offhand).
As for additional training, I found a Small Business Course run by the local County Council to be very helpful before I went freelance.
Regards, Louisa

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of James Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 February 2020 20:07
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Career Options

This is not strictly about zooarchaeology, but I thought a few people on this list might have some advice. For those of you who moved to other careers outside of archaeology (either temporarily or permanently), what did you end up doing for a living? How big of a transition was it? Did you have to go through a lot of extra training?