these in many species, fluctuating asymmetry likely accounts for a significant percentage of these; there are quite a number
of papers in the literature.

den

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Laszlo Bartosiewicz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Goran,

Thank you very much for the picture. To me the curve does not seem too catastrophic, I have seem something like that in present-day roe deer. However, the article recommended by Richard would help checking whether I am too "skeptical" and help contextualizing your specimen in hand making a proper differential diagnosis.

Best wishes, Laszlo

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Goran Tomac <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 03 February 2020 15:46:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Small ungulate thor. vert. - pathology

Thanks you very much to both of you.
Laszlo, here is the link with the photo so I hope it helps:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a9f35d2cd1f97ef5ef9b790420c4b2da20200203144306/9bf490add489f7b906f918434cd9e8f020200203144306/381fc7

pon, 3. velj 2020. u 15:42 Thomas, Richard M. (Prof.) <[log in to unmask]> napisao je:

I am always wary of treating animals as a singular group…but if it is helpful Den Lawler and colleagues published a paper on deviated spinous processes in dogs:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X16303236

The short (if unhelpful) answer, following radiographic analysis and differential diagnosis, is that there can be multiple causes.

Yours (in vagueness),

Richard