Dear SPMers,

I am conducting a fMRI study in patients with stroke (aphasia). I have
created a binary lesion mask of each patient (native and MNI space) and now
I would like to perform the spatial preprocessing as well as the first and
second level statistical analysis.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the MNI binary lesion mask of each
patient in its respective first level as an exclusive mask in order to
exclude the lesioned area of the statistical analysis. Then, these "clean"
contrast images will be used in the second level analysis. I was looking
for this option in the Batch (fMRI model specification option) but there is
only the possibility of including inverse option, that is, an explicit mask
(eg. ICV mask). Any suggestion?

Another approach could be to calculate a binary lesion mask of the whole
group of patients and apply it in the second level analysis, although I
don´t like this option very much because each patient´s lesion is of a
different size...

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,