Good questions. I have a few introductory/background points before I respond to the questions directly.

For those who may be unfamiliar with how retention works with MS Teams, have a look at these two related sites.
The quote below from the second link is relevant to this post:

'Teams chats are stored in a hidden SubstrateHolds folder in the mailbox of each user in the chat, and Teams channel messages are stored in a hidden SubstratesHolds folder in the group mailbox for a team. Teams uses an Azure-powered chat service that also stores this data, and by default this service stores the data forever. With a Teams retention policy, when you delete data, the data is permanently deleted from both the Exchange mailboxes and the underlying chat service.'

and

'Teams chats and channel messages aren't affected by retention policies applied to user or group mailboxes in the Exchange email or Office 365 groups locations. Even though Teams chats and channel messages are stored in Exchange, they're only affected by retention policies applied to the Teams locations.'

In summary:
Another quote from the same post:

'In many cases, organizations consider private chat data as more of a liability than channel messages, which are typically more project-related conversations.'

Typically, in the on-premise past, organisations will have backed up their Exchange mailboxes (and possibly also enabled journaling, to capture emails), for disaster recovery, 'archiving' and investigations. Unless a decision is made to invest in cloud back-ups, Office 365 retention policies may also be applied to Exchange mailboxes, effectively replacing the need to back them up. Retention policies applied to Exchange mailboxes don't affect the teams chat folder.

My sense is that organisations should apply the same retention period to both emails and Teams chats as they do to email mailbox backups now. If mailboxes are typically kept for 7 - 10 years after the person leaves the organisation, then keep the Teams chats for the same period.

Note that, even if a poster deletes an item (if that option is enabled), it will still be retained if there is a retention policy.

To your specific point about the potential for different retention requirements, depending on the subject matter, my thoughts are:
If all your project records (including email, chat and documents) must be retained for 25 years, then you need to understand all the options.

It underscores the need to plan carefully for retention management for all the key workloads in Office 365.

Andrew Warland
Melbourne, Australia