Please see below details of an exciting FREE event happening at The University of Edinburgh. Please pass this email on to any parties you think may be interested. All responses to Eddie Martin at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Hi All,

I am a PhD student who studies sonification – turning data into sound. I am hosting a free event of music created by scientists from scientific data. The event is on Thursday 5th March at 7.30pm at 50 George Square (University of Edinburgh). Tickets are not required.

The event is suitable for all including students and school pupils interested in Music, Computing/IT, and Science (especially Biology). More details are included at the end of this email. Both individuals and class groups are very welcome, although I would appreciate contact by email in advance for groups larger than 5.

I look forward to welcoming interested students to the event!

All the Best,

Edward Martin
EASTBIO DTP PHD Student
Barker Research Group
Institute of Evolutionary Biology
School of Biological Sciences
University of Edinburgh

###############################################################################################################
Harmonic Function

A concert showcase of algorithmic data-driven music. Algoraver Shelly Knotts leads a talented selection of innovative performers. Expect live-coding and sonification. Music, but not as you know it. All are welcome

50 George Square, University of Edinburgh
Thurs 05/03/2020
19:30-21:00
Free Entry

Shelly Knotts – Producer of live-coded and network music and winner of the PRS foundation Oram Award 2017. An international and innovative creator of diverse and inspiring work.
https://shellyknotts.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/shelly_knotts

Michelle Phillips and Nicholas Weise – Manchester-based collaboration between a composer and a molecular biologist, birthing the ‘Music and Mutation’ project.
https://twitter.com/___Michelle____
https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/nicholas.weise.html

Edward Martin – SBS-based bioinformatics sonification researcher drawing hidden soundscapes from our DNA.
https://twitter.com/Edstonification

I support the University and College Union's (UCU) strike action to defend everyone's right to secure contracts and equality at work.

​Dr Stevie Anne Bain
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Institute of Evolutionary Biology
University of Edinburgh
EH9 3FL

Twitter: @steviebain_

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)

Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212