Dear PILAS Subscribers,

We would like to announce a new publication from the University of Texas Press, which we hope will be of interest.

Quinceañera StyleQuinceañera Style

Social Belonging and Latinx Consumer Identities

Rachel Valentina González

https://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/9781477319697/quinceanera-style/

Quinceañera celebrations, which recognize a girl’s transition to young womanhood at age fifteen, are practiced in Latinx communities throughout the Americas. But in the consumer-driven United States, the ritual has evolved from a largely religious ceremony to an elaborate party where social status takes center stage. Examining the many facets of this contemporary debut experience, Quinceañera Style reports on ethnographic fieldwork in California, Texas, the Midwest, and Mexico City to reveal a complex, compelling story. Along the way, we meet a self-identified transwoman who uses the quinceañera as an intellectual space in her activist performance art. We explore the economic empowerment of women who own barrio boutiques specializing in the quinceañera’s many accessories and made-in-China gowns. And, of course, we meet teens themselves, including a vlogger whose quince-planning tips have made her an online sensation.

Disrupting assumptions, such as the belief that Latino communities in the United States can’t desire upward mobility without abandoning ethnoracial cultural legacies, Quinceañera Style also underscores the performative nature of class and the process of constructing a self in the public, digital sphere.

Rachel Valentina González is an assistant professor of Mexican American and Latina/o studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She was a Woodrow Wilson Early Career Fellow and is the coeditor of Race and Cultural Practice in Popular Culture.

With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

University of Texas Press | February 2020 | 232pp | 9781477319697 | PB | £22.99*

*Price subject to change.

To unsubscribe from the PILAS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=PILAS&A=1