Hi Jez,
Sounds like these may have possibly been originated on film, in which case
I would always seek to go back to the negative/positive in order to get the
most out of the image.

As others have said 600 dpi won't get you very far, it's fairly easy to
calculate that a 6x4 photo scanned at 600dpi will give you 3600 x 2400
pixel image (600 x 6 / 600 x 4), which when printed at 300dpi will output
at 12 x 8", so you'll get to A4, but not much further.

I'd speak to David Rowan at the Birmingham Museums Trust, he's the
photographer there who may be able to help further, he's also freelance.
Tony

Tony Harris

Digital Media & Photography Manager
Government Art Collection
DCMS, 4/29, 100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ

artcollection.culture.gov.uk | 07866 953048

@govartcol <https://twitter.com/GovArtCol> | /govartcol
<http://www.facebook.com/govartcol> | @govartcol
<https://www.instagram.com/govartcol/>

The Government Art Collection is currently  preparing to move the
Collection to new premises and is not undertaking any new displays.  Normal
operations will resume in Spring 2020.