Hi Jez

There are a couple of points to make:

   1. Yes, maximising the DPI seems like good advice.  Scanners obviously
   are much slower when working at maximum resolution, so the trade-off is
   quantity-vs-quality.  600 DPI seems sensible for photos that are good
   quality, otherwise average photos gain nothing over 300DPI.
   2. There are opportunities to post-process the images using Photoshop
   (commercial) or GIMP (free, open-source). It is relatively easy to sharpen
   images by changing the white balance, contrast etc.

Matthew Shaw