From: A bibliometrics discussion list for the Library and Research Community <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of James R Wilsdon
Sent: 21 February 2020 13:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LIS-Bibliometrics response to Wellcome Trust DORA guidance consultation

Dear all,

With similar caveats to Stephen and Ernesto(!), I’d like to signal my support for their points.

While DORA is of course not the only show in town in terms of frameworks for responsible metrics and evaluation, I think all of us who share a commitment to this agenda should recognise, welcome and support the extent to which it has become the most visible and influential articulation of a wider set of concerns. The evolution of DORA over the past 2-3 years beyond the original declaration and into a more plural, interdisciplinary platform for commitment and action on these issues has been hugely positive, and as Stephen reminds us, DORA's roadmap extends this further in a number of positive directions.

I think it’s important to recognise this - and to signal collective support for DORA’s efforts - while of course preserving the space for continued innovation and diversity in the approach taken by individual organisations. This is very much the spirit in which I interpret the Wellcome guidance (and I would imagine that colleagues in Leiden would feel the same way - though am cc:ing Sarah de Rijcke, Ludo Waltman and Ismael Rafols, as they may wish to contribute!)

I think one of the greatest strengths of these debates over the past 5-6 years has been the extent to which colleagues across a range of linked initiatives and organisations have worked collaboratively to strengthen and mutually reinforce each other’s efforts. Through this period, DORA has emerged as the framework with the greatest global reach and visibility, so at a pragmatic level, I think it makes tactical strength to build on this further, and continue to evolve DORA (as Stephen says) to better reflect a wide range of issues and concerns. This doesn’t mean it has to crowd out or stifle the development of other initiatives - merely that we should recognise and build on what is working well, and try to strengthen it further.

best wishes,

James

James Wilsdon FAcSS
Director, Research on Research Institute (RoRI)
Digital Science Professor of Research Policy, University of Sheffield
+44 (0)7710 760086; http://researchonresearch.org/
[cid:image001.png@01D5E8C0.D7EDABE0]