Dear colleagues,

The deadline to submit abstracts for this year's Goldschmidt Conference in Hawaii (21-26 June) is very soon - Friday 14th February - so we would like to encourage you to contribute to our metamorphic session 04e Reaction Kinetics and Time Scale during Burial and Exhumation in Metamorphic Rocks. For details please see below and/or here.

With kind regards from the convenors,

Shah Wali Faryad and Simon Cuthbert

Formation and decomposition of minerals in metamorphic rocks are controlled by pressure and temperature changes, but reaction kinetics are also an important control upon the extent of reaction progress and survival of relict phases or compositions, influenced by deformation, fluid access and rates of change of physical conditions. Better understanding of kinetic factors can help us to model and interpret metamorphic textures, compositional zoning and isotopic closure in order to date and reconstruct the evolution of metamorphic events. More and more sensitive, high-resolution analytical techniques and modelling approaches are being used and recent progress in, for example, geospeedometry and diffusion modelling have been major milestones allowing us to more effectively constrain the form of the pressure-temperature-time path during cycles of burial and exhumation. Application of these methods is an important tool to understand the geodynamics of an orogenic system. It is encouraging that the subduction and exhumation rates calculated by these methods are in agreement with plate convergence rates estimated by geophysical methods but challenges (and opportunities) remain, especially in unravelling the early evolution of rocks that have experienced a strong, late thermal overprint. This session aims to bring together a diverse range of contributions that investigate kinetic factors across the full range of metamorphic rocks and environments. In addition to studies of mineral zoning and textures, reaction progress and pressure-temperature-time paths, we encourage contributions about isotopic systems used in petrochronology and critical comparisons with results from equilibrium thermodynamic approaches and geophysical studies of orogens. Furthermore, we invite studies (from nature and experiment) that address diffusion of elements and redistribution of isotopic systems in minerals during changing pressure-temperature conditions.

To unsubscribe from the GEO-METAMORPHISM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=GEO-METAMORPHISM&A=1