Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your email and contribution.  I feel that this is a very important topic that needs wider discussion with disabled and neurodivergent people. There are also key support mechanisms operated and matured in other sectors that would greatly support organisations and disabled and neurodivergent people in working in the Heritage Sector.   This is DCN/EMBEDs key work and objectives to bring these into the Heritage Sector, as they are greatly needed.  These solutions are reflective of the budgetary constraints, capacity, and resources to the particular needs of the organisation.

All museum work is subject to reasonable adjustments and how the organisation develops an inclusive workforce, which all of us are affected.  This includes (but not limited to) access to information, physical work, facilities (toilets, lifts) carrying out our day to day tasks, work-life balance and flexible working  This can change at any time and at any part of our career journey in the sector.  However, it can bring relevance and engagement to better user experience by ensuring that talent with any hidden or visible disability can be considered and represented in the Heritage Sector.

Manual handling skills would need to be met by what the organisation was prepared to do and what the strategy was in reflect the considered barriers.  You are right when you say that not all disabilities are visible.  There will be people who have health conditions and profiles which may involve coordination and mobility. These may not be shared at interview, understandability due to fear of stigma. This is a common factor and its the organisation's responsibility in how they will develop inclusive methods to enable authentic conversations with people when recruiting and how a talented person can be retained in the sector through reasonable adjustments.  There has been key work in this area with Fujitsu SEED which my colleague Sarah Simcoe (now EMBED/DCN partnership) was the first chair.  Info here:  https://blog.uk.fujitsu.com/responsible-business/be-completely-you-seed/#.XkQHfzH7QdU

I spoke at a ACAS conference in 2018 on Diversity in the Workplace with my work at AchieveAbility, in which one of the speakers is a lawyer on Disability in the Workplace and the process of reasonable adjustments.  Firstly, it is important to note that the social model should be considered with reasonable adjustments (see earlier points) and not the medical model of disability.  It is very much about removing disadvantages to the disabled person and creating a level playing field.  This does not depend on cost, but what is reasonable and what the organisation has done in considered action.

I personally feel this is about a shift of change and updating old recruiting methods as these are now no longer serving the sector.  Its vitally important that change happens fast.

If anyone has any questions or would like to know more about EMBED/DCN or our work, do feel free to get in touch.

With Best Wishes

Becki