Hi Emma

Perhaps the most important thing is to make sure that your organisations’s financial rules actually allow you to do this. Many organisations have spending rules that focus soley on ‘value for money’ - which ususally ends up favouring the cheapest option, without regard for matters such as environmental impact.

I live near Bristol, and were I to come and speak at the NMS the cheapest way for me to get to you would almost certainly be to fly - about the the most environmentally damaging travel option there is. Depending on the timing it might be possible for someone to fly from Bristol to Edinburgh, do their thing, and come back the same day so saving on accommodation costs, which migh have to be met if someone travelled in a ‘greener’ way,  e.g. by train. Depending on how your fiance rules work your money people could insist that they would only pay the cost of the flights if you or your speaker insisted on alternative, ‘greener’ but more time consuming and costly alternatives.

I’m not sying you shouldn’t do the environmentally responsible thing - you obviously should - but this needs to have the backing of the higest levels in your organisation so that things like your spending rules are flexible enough to accommodate doing the right thing, rather than the cheapest thing.

Hope this helps

Richard.

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive