Hi everyone,

Here’s are some upcoming training and networking events across Yorkshire in the next few months.

Best wishes to all, Kate

Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network:

We have set the next few dates and venues for the Yorkshire Accessible Museums Network, and they are….

•         Thursday 19 March 2020, 1-4pm (or 12:15 start for the tour) at the M&S Archive, Leeds, hosted by Caroline Bunce

                https://www.eventbrite.com/e/yorkshire-accessible-museums-network-meeting-tickets-91764146031

•         Monday 13 July 2020, 1-4pm, at the Hepworth, Wakefield, hosted by Victoria Boome

Each free networking meeting involves national and local news, time for sharing and some training.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: @YorkshireAMN

Historical Association: Yorkshire History Forum

Wednesday 4 March, 4-8pm, Leeds Trinity University

Come along for your own professional development, or have a stall (£20) to reach around 150 teachers in one night!

To book, visit https://www.history.org.uk/primary/categories/789/news/3792/yorkshire-history-forum-mastering-the-curriculum

Any questions please get in touch with: [log in to unmask]

For International Women's Day, GEMYH and Ryedale Folk Museum present:

Redefining the Witch: how to interpret magic, feminism and women's history

Tuesday 17 March 2020, 10-2:15, Ryedale Folk Museum

What is a witch? Who is a witch? Why are we fascinated by magic and witches?  How can we use social history collections to tell genuine stories of female empowerment and emancipation without getting lost in the myths, stereotyping or sensationalism? During the day, we will address the role of museums and heritage organisations in offering a historically-valid perspective on the topic.

This event shares the findings from research conducted by staff at the Ryedale Folk Museum, facilitated by a recent GEMYH Reach Out bursary.  We will use collections, and collection stories, as a starting point for practically  investigating the role of women over the centuries, focusing on ways to share heritage with sensitivity and historical accuracy, taking into account the marketing implications.  We will take  inspiration from stories of witches in Ryedale (North Yorkshire), three rare 'witch posts' within the Museum collection, and the recently-classified witch marks adorning caves at Creswell Crags (Derbyshire) and open these out into wider discussions around gender and class politics, and alternatives narratives of women.

GEM member: £5; non-members: £20.

Please book at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/redefining-the-witch-how-to-interpret-magic-feminism-and-womens-history-tickets-91750649663

DATE FOR YOUR DIARY!!! GEM Yorkshire and Humberside and Museums Sheffield:

Exploring the secondary school Art and Design Curriculum

Mon 22 June, 1-4pm, Sheffield (exact location and details tbc)

GEM member: £5; non-members: £20.

Please book at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exploring-the-secondary-art-and-design-curriculum-in-a-gallery-context-tickets-91753323661

DATE FOR YOUR DIARY!!! GEM Yorkshire and Humberside and the National Railway Museum:

Exploring Science Careers

Wed 16 September, 1-4pm, National Railway Museum, York

Further details to follow.

GEM member: £5; non-members: £20.

Please book at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/exploring-science-careers-tickets-91754188247

Kate Fellows

Head of Learning and Access, Leeds Museums and Galleries,

Please note I work Monday – Thursday

WINNER - educational initiative46,956 children aged 0-19 participated in school visits to our museums and galleries and in workshops in other settings and at least 1350 pupils used our loans boxes during 2018-9, supported by 7028 teachers. We trained 1204 teachers in the same year.

Make a statement. Be creative. Be curious. Start a conversation.

museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.uk

Museums and Heritage Award winners 2019 for the Leeds Curriculum. Find it on: www.mylearning.org

Glide your way into 2020 at Ice Cube!
Yorkshire’s coolest wintertime attraction returns to Millennium Square from Friday 31 January until Sunday 23 February with a covered outdoor ice rink, a cosy visitor café, together with a range of themed rides and attractions.

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.

Legal notice: Leeds City Council contracts on the basis of a formal letter, contract or order form. An e-mail from Leeds City Council will not create a contract unless it clearly and expressly states otherwise. For further information please refer to: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/your-council/councillors-and-democracy/council-constitution

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]: Join GEM Firstname Secondname Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask] If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message: Set GEM nomail When you get back: Set GEM mail You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above. Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this: CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask] + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +