Dear Janet

I’ve forwarded your email on to Deborah, but in the meantime, yes it is fine to included citations.

Kind regards

Serena

Sent: 27 February 2020 05:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DRAWING-RESEARCH] DRN 2020: Temporal Drawing final CFP

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for sending this as a reminder. I am on a 'cracking pace' to get my thesis in by May this year but I would love to revisit Loughborough in July and present at the Temporal drawing conference. Just a quick (possibly stupid) question re the abstract - can in contain citations?

I am getting my images together to meet the UK deadline.

Cheers Janet

PS: The focus of my thesis is a pedagogical enquiry into the role and value of drawing in the creative process (specifically for novice graphic designers). It may not fit snuggly into your theme as it specifically addresses the benefits and barriers to drawing, exploring activities that align with designerly thinking activities. However, there are sections where I reflect on my image making practice and studio explorations using drawing which may be more appropriate. I mention this, in case you are looking for content that addresses 'design' - and another drawing workshop.

Draft

“I have had another evening doodling. I am not sure if what I am doing is strictly “doodling” as I oscillate from repetitive mark-making and patterning to consciously drawing images and symbols. I find doodling relaxing. It is also helping me navigate my way through the cancer process. It has been ten months. Precious time seems to have slipped away. Increasingly I find myself not only doodling lilies and lily pads but cross-sections of brains.” (Saunders diary, 2015)

In August 2014, my husband, Peter, was diagnosed with a brain tumour, and the relentless MRI and CT scans, chemotherapy, and radiology sessions began. We were not alone on this journey. A staggering 145,000 people in Australia are diagnosed with some form of cancer every year (AIHW, 2019). Throughout Peter’s last year, I discovered stillness, peace and therapy in the act of drawing. While scrutinising the many translucent indigo brain scans, I traced the contours with continuous lines (Rottger, Klante, 1964; McKim, 1980), oscillating between conscious and unconscious thoughts (Goldstein, 1991) sometimes guided more by a sense of touch rather than sight (Nicolaides, 1941). Drawing became an emotional release, providing focus and creative ‘flow’ (Csikszentmihalyi, 1997). This fixation on the internal body led to a collaborative exploration of the external body with Peter, using drawing to accentuate the dangers hidden below the surface, using body mono-prints. The memories of 2015 are suspended in time within the diary entries, doodles and body prints created while contemplating life, death, grief and beauty through drawing.

Janet Saunders | Associate lecturer
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
Western Sydney University

P: +61 9685.4670 | Office:ED.G.72