Dear Colleagues

With apologies for cross-posting, we would like to invite contributions to our session on socially engaged community archaeology. The full title and abstract are below, but essentially we welcome papers on any aspect of community archaeology that is engaging with some of the current social, political and cultural pressures in modern society. We are concerned that archaeology is vulnerable to mis-use in the service of political ends, and want to try and overcome some of the challenges and divisions we face in this arena.

Please send us your abstracts via the conference website https://www.e-a-a.org/EAA2020 by the deadline 13th February 2020. If you know anyone who might want to contribute, do please pass this message on.

Many thanks!

Paul Belford
Penelope Foreman
Jaime Almansa-Sanchez

Challenge, Change, and Common Ground: The Role of Socially Engaged Practice in Community Archaeology in Modern Europe

Europe is divided. Nations and nationalities and identities are drawn, redrawn, refuted, rejected, and re-defined in a constant cycle of conflict and change. Narratives of both belonging and othering are constructed, and the past is a tool in their construction. Archaeological research is reported and re-framed to form ‘evidence’ for ideological arguments from across the political spectrum. At the same time, heritage sites, public bodies, academic institutions, and community projects are under intense political pressure to quantify their social impact and ‘value’. This is largely measured economically, using inadequately designed monitoring and evaluation tools that struggle to capture the personal, wellbeing, cultural impact of archaeology on individuals and communities. Borders across which collaboration previously flowed are closing, stifling the passage of both archaeologists and archaeological discourse. Archaeology as a discipline is beginning to act upon broader societal changes, such as the need to examine decolonisation of its practice and the admission of a lack of diversity - but this change has come slowly and not without contention and conflict.

The community archaeologist can be neither apolitical nor apathetic in the face of these challenges and changes. The tangible and intangible barriers to access of archaeological sites, projects, and research must be navigated through practice that balances accessibility, innovation, and inclusion with quality research and impactful outcomes.

This session invites contributors working on socially engaged practice - that which has a co-creative, democratic, community-driven, inclusive, value-driven design and implementation - to share their successes and failures in this field, and hold a wider debate on its value and impact upon both archaeology and the public perception of social issues in Europe today.

Dr Paul Belford FSA MCIfA
Cyfarwyddwr / Director
Ymddiriedolaeth Archaeolegol Clwyd-Powys / Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust

Please note our new office address below.

http://www.cpat.org.uk
Ffôn / Tel: 01938 553670

E-bost / E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ymddiriedolaeth Archaeolegol Clwyd-Powys, Y Swyddfeydd, Coed y Dinas, Welshpool, SY21 8RP,

Swyddfa Gofrestredig fel yr uchod. Rhif Cwmni 1212455, Rhif Elusen 508301, Sefydliad Cofrestredig CIfA.

Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, The Offices, Coed y Dinas, Welshpool, SY21 8RP. Registered Office as above. Company No 1212455, Charity No 508301. Chartered Institute for Archaeologists Registered Organisation.

Privacy Notice

-------------------------- contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events in contemporary and historical archaeology, and for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group. ------- For email subscription options see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html ------- Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting dates: http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk --------------------------