Hi,
a likely scenario is that your mutant crystallises in the same conformation/packing as the wild-type protein, and this conformation is good for ligand binding. In solution, your mutant protein may be more flexible/open than the wild-type and affinity hence lower. We see this quite often. Various solution structure techniques will shed light on this.

Another possibility, assuming that you did ITC only at one temperature, is that you are “lucky” enough to be at the temperature where enthalpy for binding is zero for the mutant (but not wild-type). This you can find out by carrying out ITC at different temperatures.
Petri

Petri Kursula
----------
Professor
Department of Biomedicine
University of Bergen, Norway
http://www.uib.no/en/rg/petrikursula
Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
Biocenter Oulu
University of Oulu, Finland