Dear all,

Due to circumstances beyond our control - the previously advertised seminar on Archives and Philanthropy at the University of Kent has been rescheduled to Thursday 7th May 2020. I hope many of you can still make it!

Please use the following link to book this event: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/archives-of-philanthropy-opportunities-and-challenges-tickets-96651929523

If you have any questions about the seminar or the evening lecture delivered by the inspirational Dame Stephanie Shirley - then please drop me a line - [log in to unmask]

Many thanks!

Beth

Beth Astridge | Project Archivist

UK Philanthropy Archive | Special Collections and Archives

Templeman Library, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NU

E: [log in to unmask]

T: 01227 (82)3566

I work part-time on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Archives of Philanthropy: Opportunities and Challenges

The UK Philanthropy Archive’s inaugural Archives and Philanthropy Seminar 2020

Thursday 7th May 2020

Rooms DG01 and DG02, Ground Floor, The Templeman Library, University of Kent

Seminar Schedule

12.30 Registration and Coffee

13.00 Welcome and Opening Remarks

·         Trudy Turner, Assistant Director, Library Collections (University of Kent)

·         Karen Brayshaw – Head of Special Collections & Archives (University of Kent)

13.15 Panel 1: Opportunities

Facilitator – Justine Rush, Head of Academic Liaison (University of Kent)

Speakers:

·         TBC

Why study the history of philanthropy?

·         Ellie Munro – Voluntary Sector Researcher and PhD Student (University of Birmingham)

The Cadbury Barrow Trust archives – using archives to study philanthropy

·         Sufina Ahmad – Director (John Ellerman Foundation)

The history and archives of the John Ellerman Foundation

Presentations followed by Q&A with the panel

14.30 Coffee break

15.00 Panel 2: Challenges

Facilitator - Kathryn Preston - The National Archives, Archives Sector Development, Regional and Networks team

·         Beth Astridge, Project Archivist, UK Philanthropy Archive (University of Kent)

The UK Philanthropy Archive: Challenges

·         Dr Charlotte Clements, Senior Lecturer in History (London South Bank University)

The second five years: achievements and challenges in archiving the voluntary sector

·         Katherine Duerden, Support and Engagement Manager (360 Giving)

360 Giving: transparency and sharing open data

 Presentations followed by Q&A with the panel

16.15 Concluding Remarks

·         Dr Beth Breeze –Director of the Centre for Philanthropy (University of Kent)

16:30 Seminar Close

Seminar attendees are welcome to stay for a short tour of Special Collections & Archives including a private view of a selection of items from the Shirley Foundation archive collection and other material from Special Collections & Archives.

Tours are available at 16.45, 17.00 and 17.15

Attendees are also welcome to stay and attend our inaugural Shirley Lecture – where our speaker Dame Stephanie Shirley will be speaking about her life and philanthropic work. This will be followed by a wine reception and book signing with Dame Stephanie.

Lecture Schedule

Location: Templeman Lecture Theatre, Templeman Library with wine reception and book signing in the A Block Foyer outside the Templeman Lecture Theatre

18.00 Registration

18.15 Welcome and introduction

·         Caroline Ottaway-Searl, Director of Public Engagement, The National Archives

18.30 Shirley Lecture

·         Dame Stephanie Shirley

19.30 Thanks and concluding remarks

·         Karen Cox, Vice-Chancellor, University of Kent

19.40 Wine Reception and Book Signing

The Shirley Lecture will conclude with a wine reception, and book signing by Dame Stephanie Shirley, where you have the opportunity to purchase her book – “Let it Go” (suggested donation is £10 which goes to Dame Stephanie’s preferred charity – Autistica)