Hi Sam

The usual route is to spend time (often a year) working as a trainee archivist or archive assistant before undertaking a masters degree in archive management/administration. This is the experience that the courses require (not experience working as a full blown archivist).

Competition for trainee archivist and archive assistant posts is quite intense so it is a good idea to do some unpaid work experience in one or more archive services before applying for these positions. This will give you an opportunity to acquire some basic skills and knowledge and show that you are committed to archiving as a career.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Sent from my iPhone