Apologies for any cross-posting.

Dear All

We invite you to submit proposals for our panel ‘ Translating Environment in Public Health’ at this  ASA conference (St Andrews, 24th-27th August 2020). For submitting an abstract please visit  https://www.theasa.org/conferences/asa2020/cfp.shtml.

We are looking forward for reading your proposals, please have in mind the deadline: 15th March 2020.

In this panel we explore processes of translation in non-anthropocentric ethnographies, particularly within public health.  In public health anthropologists often work as part of multidisciplinary teams and are looked to fulfil the role of ‘cultural translator’.  Anthropologists ‘translate’ local beliefs, ideologies, values, systems, and languages for epidemiologists and clinicians. We also translate public health study design, biomedical concepts, consent forms, and ‘academic logic’ into local frames of understanding for study ‘participants’.

However, when researching health, disease, and ill/wellbeing how can anthropologists translate the relationship between humans and non-humans across disciplinary boundaries? Several societies have developed translations of how socio-biological entities “think” (Kohn), how earth feels (Sarmiento), or how animals perceive the world (Viveiros de Castro). If we take seriously the idea that some non-human entities are sentient beings, then, how do we translate what they feel or think? Do their feelings and thoughts have a place in contemporary public health?  Additionally, how should anthropologists in public health navigate translation when studying relationships between humans and their environment? Should anthropologists rely on human translations when relating with non-humans?

This panel calls for papers exploring challenges in the translation of relationships with the environment in public health.  We welcome papers exploring not only ontological debates but also methodological challenges such as the translation of sensorial perceptions of the environment in relation to health, disease, and ill/wellbeing.

Warm regards,

Caroline Ackley (University of Sussex)
Andrea Bravo Diaz (PUCE)

AM is used to communicate with postgraduate & postdoctoral anthropologists
working in the UK and abroad to provide alerts to: new issues of the
Open Access Anthropology Matters journal, and events of anthropological
interest in the UK anthropology community such as conferences
and seminars or funding opportunities.

To join the list or view archived previous messages visit:                                             *
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters

If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all
those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1