Call for papers to the workshop: Colonial Histories and Migration: Heritage, Narratives and Materiality at the 20th Nordic Mi­gra­tion Research conference & 17th ETMU conference 12 ̶ 14 Au­gust, 2020, Uni­versity of Helsinki, Fin­land.

The deadline for submissions is February 29, 2020.

The starting point for this workshop is that historical colonial orders impact the way migration is represented and understood today. The idea of the Nordic countries as separate from colonial history and thus colonial knowledge production, affect the way migrants, racialized minorities, diasporic communities and indigenous peoples are encountered, narrated and acted upon in the contemporary Nordic states.

In this workshop we examine in which ways the relations between colonialism and migration are located in time and space, both locally and globally. We will address multiple spatial, temporal and material relations between coloniality and migration that has taken place both from, to and within Nordic countries, in the past as well as in the present. How does colonial history impact on Nordic migration and what role do colonial history and its processes play in understanding migration in Nordic states today?

We welcome papers that examine questions of migration and mobility in relation to colonial history, postcolonialism/decolonization/coloniality, and settler colonialism. How can we understand and think about migration studies through these prisms?

Conveners: Jenny Ingridsdotter (Umeå University, Sweden) and Anne Gustavsson (Universidad Nacional de San Martín, Argentina)

More info about the workshop (number 13) and the conference:
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/20th-nordic-migration-research-conference-and-17th-etmu-conference/call-for-papers?fbclid=IwAR0VdLr9N_lZjvbi0t48xv7hrNgkyy27e47-QtjN24XY6NY6bk7iUqy7WOE

AM is used to communicate with postgraduate & postdoctoral anthropologists
working in the UK and abroad to provide alerts to: new issues of the
Open Access Anthropology Matters journal, and events of anthropological
interest in the UK anthropology community such as conferences
and seminars or funding opportunities.

To join the list or view archived previous messages visit:                                             *
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters

If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all
those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1