Thankyou to the many who gave very detailed responses. I have been asked to
collate and distribute and hope to do this shortly.

Meanwhile I have a further query - I'm not sure if I once knew this and
have forgotten it, or whether I never knew it, but here it is:

We have n=2000 respondents, each of whom answers a question on a 4-point
scale, This is scored 1, 2, 3 and 4.
There are subgroups, e.g. males and females, Labour or Conservative.
Subgroup sizes range from about 100 to 1100.
I calculate the average male response and the average female response: say
2.6 from 900 males and 306 from 1100 females. So the sex 'difference' is
1.0.
What, pray, can I say about the error bounds of this difference?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

Sincerely

JOHN BIBBY

The average response in subgroups A1 and B1

SIGNOFF allstat