On the religion issue, I highly recommend Karen Armstrong’s “The Lost Art of Scripture.” Among other things, it has a sophisticated take on why supposedly religious students may be ignorant  about their own stories, but it’s a much richer book than that. It also offers some good reasons why the exegetical and hermeneutic arts—which are basically what we practice—are crucial for human thriving.

Susanne