Hi Laure,

We have recently developed criteria to evaluate University adoption of RDM-related tools whereby there is added value for our users to have a site licence over and above the individual (often free) version.

We’ve put this into place twice with our Research Data Service Steering Group, once with RSpace and once with protocols.io, honing the process as we went. It starts with a user request and we investigate, then work up a case to bring to the steering group for a trial towards later adoption (ensuring we also following procurement rules and that cost recovery mechanisms are in place if needed).

The more recent (2-page) case had the headings, What is …?, How will it benefit researchers & UoE?, Costs, Rationale for tool adoption by Research Data Service, Principles for Tool Adoption, How the … subscription (trial) meets the principles for tool adoption, and Success criteria for a one year trial.

Below is the content of the two sections that we mean to be generic. Perhaps the second bit could be your starting point, if I’m understanding your question.

Rationale for tool adoption by Research Data Service

Information Services (IS) aims to offer a research data service that meets most of the data lifecycle needs of the majority of UoE researchers without interfering with their freedom to choose tools and technologies which suit their work.  Researchers have general and discipline-specific requirements regarding research data tools which help them with efficiency, productivity, group-working and external collaboration. Increasingly there are additional funder and societal requirements around data management and sharing, research integrity and reproducibility, impact, security and creation of FAIR data (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable). The service aims to assist researchers to find and use appropriate tools to extend and enhance the basic platforms provided by the University. Where IS can assist the UoE research community by making a tool centrally available, or broker individual access to a tool through central subscription management, or organise a trial, it will seek to do so according to the following principles.

Principles for Tool Adoption

The following principles were agreed by the Research Data Service Steering Group on 27 August, 2019 (slide 4 in meeting slideset):

1)           IS will raise awareness and facilitate access to supported systems based on limited staff resource (provider needs to include support for technology, or member of community will provide support).

2)           GDPR compliance and University supplier terms must be met.

3)           An appropriate level of integration with UoE systems can be reached by supplier with IS cooperation – given service budgets (e.g. EASE, DataStore, DataShare).

4)           Data portability requirements can be met, e.g.

•            No data lock-in (structure, formats)

•            Exportability

•            Importability

Cheers,

--

Robin Rice

Data Librarian and Head, Research Data Support

Library & University Collections

University of Edinburgh

0131 651 1431

https://www.ed.ac.uk/is/research-data-service

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.