[cid:image001.jpg@01D5D5D7.ACBDC320]

Intermediate courses at the Cathie Marsh Institute

As well as our introductory courses in quantitative data analysis and research methods, the Cathie Marsh Institute also offers a range of intermediate-level courses for more advanced data analysts to develop their skills.

Last year, participants told us they wanted more advanced training in certain areas, and we are pleased to offer brand new Intermediate courses in R and Stata for 2019-20.

Intermediate R <https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/intermediate/intermediate-r/#d.en.739637> - 6 February 2020 or 22 May 2020

Brand new for 2020! Previous participants told us they were keen to develop more advanced skills in R, and next month see our brand new Intermediate R short course, tackling the important topic of data cleaning and the tidyverse.

Inspired by the concept of "tidy data," the tidyverse package enables users to import, merge, recode, restructure and plot data very efficiently. The course combines lecture content with hands-on practical sessions using real-world data, covering skills such as:
*         Filtering cases and selecting variables
*         Working with factors
*         Transforming variables
*         Merging data
*         Using the pipe operator
*         Visualizing data in R

Longitudinal Data Analysis<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/intermediate/longitudinal-data-analysis/> - 20 February 2020

The course covers two of the most useful ways of analysing longitudinal data. In the morning we cover growth curve analysis within a multilevel modelling framework. The theoretical ideas are embellished with practical work using data from the National Child Development Study. After lunch, basic concepts in survival analysis and event history analysis are introduced followed by practical work with a simple (pencil and paper) example.

This intermediate course is designed to build on the foundations taught in Introduction to Longitudinal Data Analysis<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/intro-to-longitudinal-studies/>.

Machine Learning with Python<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/machine-learning-with-python/#d.en.751632> - 27 February 2020

Find out how to use machine learning algorithms to gain new insights into your data. This is an intermediate course, designed for Python users to build skills in data analysis using different types of machine learning algorithms.

If you are new to Python, Introduction to Python<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/introduction-to-python> (24 February) will give you the confidence to create your own Python environment and produce small effective Python programs for a variety of data cleaning, analysis and visualisation tasks.

Structural Equation Modelling using Mplus<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/intermediate/structural-equation-modelling/> - 4 - 6 March 2020

This three-day course is a rare opportunity for training in Mplus.

The course aims to train quantitative social scientists to use the Mplus programme in the application of structural equation modelling techniques to continuous and non-continuous observed data.

Multilevel Modelling <https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/intermediate/multilevel-modelling/> - 20 March 2020

This one-day course begins with a description of some examples where multilevel models are useful in statistical analysis and some examples of multilevel populations. We then cover the basic theory of multilevel linear regression models (for continuous dependent variables) including random intercept and random slope specifications, the use of contextual variables in multilevel analysis and modelling repeated measures.  This course is suitable for social scientists who want to learn about a quantitative technique that allows both individual and group level variations to be simultaneously taken into account when modelling social phenomena.

Intermediate STATA<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/intermediate/intermediate-stata/#d.en.739634> - 28 May 2020

Brand new for 2020! The aim of the course is to familiarise participants with some features of Stata 14 which go beyond the introductory level. The software is a great tool to deal with a large dataset, for data manipulation and various analysis strategies including extensive and powerful statistical capabilities. Participants will cover the following topics through a combination of lecture and practical sessions:

  *   Quick review of some more basic operations
  *   The proper use of weights and weighted tables
  *   Merging datasets and combining information from different sources for combined analysis
  *   Strategies of analysis and modelling with the example of logistic regression

Plus many more courses coming up in February, including...

Our brand new Social Data Science Week, introducing free and open-source software such as:

  *   Introduction to Python<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/introduction-to-python/#d.en.751630> - 24 February 2020
  *   Introduction to SQL <https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/introduction-to-sql/#d.en.751631> - 25 February 2020
  *   Introduction to QGIS<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/introduction-to-qgis/#d.en.751629> - 26 February 2020
  *   Social Media Data Analysis<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/introductory/social-media-data-analysis/> - 28 February 2020

Follow the links above for more information and to book your place. For our full list of courses, click here<https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/list/>, or download our 2019/20 course brochure here<http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=45621>.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/cmi_courses>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/cmishortcourses/> or our new LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/cmicourses/> page for the latest news, events and announcements about short courses at the Cathie Marsh Institute.

Dr Laura Swift | Short Courses Administrator | Cathie Marsh Institute | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 0161 275 1980 | https://www.cmi.manchester.ac.uk/study/short/ | @cmi_courses<https://twitter.com/cmi_courses>