Hi Folks and Happy New Decade to you all.

I am starting to work out the niceties of accessioning our NRHE records, now the data is available, and have a query. Whilst it is related to the NRHE to HER project, its (possibly) more generally about OS recording, so thought I would post here in case anyone knows about that.

Anyway, in trying to make sense of our records so I can update them correctly, I have come across a reference to a Yellow Card (first sports pun gets sent off….)

It is in the context of our own card files, which appear to be based on OS information and in one example the card reads

“NY83SE3 Foundations, found by OS local Correspondent” and an NGR.

But enigmatically at the top of the card it also says “Info from Yellow Card” so I was wondering – was the Yellow Card part of the OS reporting process does anyone know? Perhaps a preliminary card before it was accepted into the system?

As described, this doesn’t match with anything on the Pastscape record (http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=16159 ), so I’m assuming that means that the info did not make it onto the OS card (or possibly ever had one).

To further confuse matters, the source for the Pastscape record (for which I also read – the OS Card) is given as the Archaeology in the North Gazeteer (ANG) , but according to the ANG, the site came from the OS record cards.

So we have a nice loop where the ANG is based on the OS card, but as transcribed into the NMR, the OS card seems to be based on the ANG…(which leads to another possibility that the Yellow Card is related to the Archaeology in the North Project, but I have no way of checking that – as who knows where that archive went…?)

Anyway, might just be a Durham foible, with the explanation lost in the mists of time, but if anyone knows more about Yellow Cards, or the Archaeology in the North Project (which included Cumbria, Northumberland, and Tyne and Wear) which might shed light on this, please let me know

tar

best wishes

Nick Boldrini

Historic Environment Record Officer

Archaeology Section

Heritage, Landscapes and Design Team

Environmental Services

Regeneration and Local Services

Durham County Council

County Hall

Durham

DH1 5UQ

Direct: 03000 267008

Switchboard: 03000 26 0000

http://www.durham.gov.uk/archaeology

Follow us on Twitter @durhamcouncil

Like us on facebook.com/durhamcouncil

Follow us on linkedin.com/company/durham-county-council

Follow us  on Instagram @durham_county_council

Customer Notice

We have recently updated our terms and conditions for all our services, including making some important updates to our privacy notices. To find out more about how we collect, use, share and retain your personal data, visit: www.durham.gov.uk/dataprivacy

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.

To unsubscribe from the HERFORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=HERFORUM&A=1