Morning all,

I’m doing some enhancement of a record for a 1955 watching brief during which they found “a lead cylinder, completely sealed… in a brick pier at the corner of Fleet Lane and Seacoal Lane about 4ft below present ground level... It contained a glass tube with a heavy stopper, sealed by wax and intact. The contents of this tube or bottle were a sixpence of 1874; a charter recording the laying of the foundation stone for Messrs Cattell, Petter & Galpin on 1 January 1874; a Literary Year Book Catalogue and Illustrated Catalogue of the above firm for 1874; copies of the Echo newspaper for 1 January and 2 January 1874; and of The Daily News for 1 January 1874.”

I’d like to create a record for this Time Capsule in HBSMR but I’m looking for a suitable thesaurus term. There is nothing in either the Finds/MDA Object Type or Monument Type thesauri that I can see that fits the bill. I suppose it could be a ‘Commemorative Object’, but that doesn’t seem quite right, and recording each component separately loses something of the character of the whole. Has anyone come across anything similar, or have any ideas on how best to record this?

Cheers,
Matthew

Matthew Jones (PhD) | Arches Project Officer | Greater London Archaeological Advisory Service | London and South East Region
Historic England | 4th Floor, Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill, London, EC4R 2YA | Direct Dial: 020 7973 3214

We will always store your personal details securely. We collect data that you provide  to us and only ever collect the information we need in order to carry out our statutory purposes and that helps us to deliver and improve our services. We will only share personal data when we are required to by law or with carefully selected partners who work for us. If you would like to know more or understand your data protection rights, please take a look at our Privacy and Cookies Policy<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhistoricengland.org.uk%2Fterms%2Fprivacy-cookies%2F&data=02%7C01%7Calex.slater2%40rpsgroup.com%7C0af5d7ff9b494291dc5f08d74e5acb8c%7C49833998a8f1424bbf845d50f102d530%7C0%7C1%7C637064024178806937&sdata=GHU0%2Fkt0ZLlns%2Fk%2FsHTMT1eBhryK%2FYtvsFtabFh0ekA%3D&reserved=0>

[Historic England Logo]<http://www.historicengland.org.uk/>

We are the public body that helps people care for, enjoy and celebrate England's spectacular historic environment, from beaches and battlefields to parks and pie shops.
Follow us:  Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/HistoricEngland>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/HistoricEngland>  |  Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/historicengland/>     Sign up to our newsletter<http://webmail.historicenglandservices.org.uk/k/Historic-England/historic_england_preference_centre>

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of Historic England unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to Historic England may become publicly available. We respect your privacy and the use of your information. Please read our full privacy policy<https://www.historicengland.org.uk/terms/privacy-cookies/> for more information.