Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting, the German Screen Studies Network is pleased to announce the first of our upcoming events for 2020.

Our programme kicks off this coming Sunday (January 26th) at 2.00 p.m. at Cine Lumière, London<https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/cine-lumiere/visit-us/>, with a screening of Ulrike Ottinger’s Johanna d’Arc of Mongolia (1989)<https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/cine-lumiere/whats-on/special-screenings/johanna-darc-of-mongolia/>. Many of you will know Ottinger as one of the most audacious and formally experimental filmmakers of the generation of women filmmakers who rose to prominence in West Germany in the 1970s and ‘80s. Johanna d’Arc is a visually stunning camp travelogue located on an extravagantly reconstructed version of the Trans-Siberian Express, and exploring Orientalist myths and fables through the succession of unlikely bandits, epicureans, fabulists and performing artists whom we encounter in the course of this lavish film.
Ulrike Ottinger will be present for a Q&A with the GSSN’s Erica Carter after the screening.

To keep abreast of upcoming GSSN events please visit the GSSN website<http://germanscreenstudies.eu/>, or follow us on facebook or Twitter for rolling updates of our programme.

All best wishes,

Erica Carter
Professor of German and Film, King’s College London
Chair, German Screen Studies Network