*With apologies for cross-posting*

Dear all,

Hello! We are a group of PG Museum Studies students at UCL. Currently we are carrying out a research project cooperating with the Grant Museum of Zoology, focusing on a set of bird skins stored in red top jars (1850s or earlier). All are dry specimens, and some labelled 'From Trinidad Presented by Dr. Dallas'. For more detailed information, please see https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/2017/11/03/specimen-of-the-week-315-the-red-ancients/ .

Unfortunately, we have little information about the object biography. According to our research so far, they might have something to do with the collections of Albertus Seba, or the Lidth de Jeude Collection. We are not sure who have donated/sold the birds to the Museum, who the 'Dr. Dallas' was (though possibly William Sweetland Dallas), or when they collected these birds.

Please feel free to contact [log in to unmask] if your museum has, or if you have seen somewhere

  • bird skins stored in red top jars;
  • other dry animal specimens stored in red top jars;
  • animal specimens labelled 'Presented by Dr. Dallas'; or
  • any other objects or documents that you find relevant.

Please feel free to share this information with people who might be of interest and/or information. We appreciate your kind help.

Best wishes,
Ariel

--

With kind regards.
顺颂时祺

Ariel, Xiaozhou LI  李小宙
MA student in Museum Studies
Institute of Archaeology
University College London
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]: Join GEM Firstname Secondname Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask] If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message: Set GEM nomail When you get back: Set GEM mail You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above. Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this: CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask] + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +