Yes, indeed what I am thinking of is deliberate de-implementation strategies…aside of some retrospective studies (done to demonstrate after-the-fact change in practice) it seems that there are more methodological and white-paper statements then actual prospective,  deliberate de-implementation strategies…Now, a number of people sent me some interesting papers, so this impression may change after I review all contributions (probably in about 2 weeks); so, if anyone is aware of an example of deliberate, prospective de-implementation of any medical interventions, please send it along

Thanks

ben

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bewley, Susan
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2020 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Examples of successful de-implementation strategies....

Are you thinking of deliberate de-implementation or things that have fallen by the wayside (for whatever reason)

It would be wonderful to have a set of 'rules' for de-implementation if they are not already devised (maybe especially of screening - because the  prevalence fell with another strategy or treatments became so much better the benefit:harm ratio changed). Telling the population in advance that all screening programmes are temporary might be a start. We used to XR loads of populations for TB (till it went away... only to return), we stopped thyroid cancer screening, we need to wean populations off breast screening etc.

Susan Bewley  MA MD FRCOG

Professor (emeritus) of Obstetrics and Women's Health

c/o Department of Women and Children's Health

School of Life Course Sciences

King's College London

10th Floor, North Wing
St. Thomas' Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
LONDON SE1 7EH

Tel: 020 7188 3639

Mob 07984 907 548

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Bewley

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!