There is no evidence that peer review of grant applications makes any difference so why not assign them randomly? Even better would be comparing random assignment vs the current process in a defined setting. The underlying problem is that no one has yet defined what the objectives of peer review are and following on from that what the meaningful outcomes of the process would be.

Best,

Tom.

Dr Tom Jefferson
Senior Associate Tutor, University of Oxford
Researcher, Nordic Cochrane Centre
Visiting Professor, Newcastle University

** Announcing the RIAT Support Center: free support & $150,000 grant competition **
** Details at https://restoringtrials.org/ **