Thanks, Rod
A point well taken, which clarifies the issue what is trial and what is not.
I actually intended to refer to cohort studies  (which, as you well know it,  is often considered as one of the paradigmatic designs for observational research). However, it seems that we should then distinguish cohort, non-randomized trials (when investigator has say in determining exposure) vs cohort-observational studies (when the researcher does not have say in allocating exposure). I have not seen this distinction being made before, but it looks like that Tom’s post forced us to clarify this epidemiological conundrum (again, I base my reasoning on this classic paper, I  mentioned before : https://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/1033260/distinguishing-case-series-from-cohort-studies)

Best
Ben
Sent from my iPad - excuse typos and brevity