Celebrate World Braille Day - held every year on January 4th the anniversary of  Louis Braille’s birth in 1809 in France. An accident in childhood lead to lead to his blindness and to  mastering new skills for  interacting with the world.  At  15 years old he adapted  Charles Barbier’s military night writing system into what became the effective tactile literacy system that we know as braille.

World Braille Day reminds us that literacy (the ability to use symbol systems to comprehend and compose - to make meaning and communicate) Is a critical component to success and well being.

For the last decade in our schools, braille has been taught to around 10% of blind children, auditory reading to roughly 60%, and enhanced print to approximately 30%.  Research suggests that efficient readers process braille and print in the same ways.  Efficient auditory readers process “text” differently than casual listening it is subject to different strategies and may not be as efficient in a number of contexts.

Braille Literacy Statistics and How They Relate to Equality

Overview of Auditory Literacy

The Association Between Braille Reading History and Well-being for Blind Adults

NLS Braille Literacy Resources

Scott

April 6-7, 2020  The Twentieth Annual
Multiple Perspectives Conference

To unsubscribe from the DIS-FORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=DIS-FORUM&A=1