Hi everyone

As part of collective bargaining with Trade Unions, our organisation agrees to share reasonable and proportionate data with them. One request our HR has had is around sharing of establishment data. This includes area, role, pay grade, manager and a couple of other fields (names of individuals in post are not shared). The pay grade that is being considered to be shared is the grade that the post is advertised as and not a reflection of the salary of the person in post at that time (they may have gone up the pay scale for that grade). We also share the pay grade structure with all staff and make this available on our intranet.

My question is, given that the majority of what is being asked for is shared openly (job adverts, intranet etc.) can we do this even though a post may only have one person in it, and as such can be identified? Again this is openly available data on our intranet (directory) so is something that could be found by anyone within the organisation.

I know that the previous advise under DPA 98 said that "....where the same salary details are linked to a name (for example, when the vacancy has been filled and there is a single named individual in post), the salary information about the job will be personal data ‘relating to’ the employee in post..." but we are not intending on sharing the salary of the individual only the starting grade that post would be advertised at.

Does anyone foresee any issues with HR sharing consolidated data like this?

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html