Hi Luke, our overall issue here is that our Colleges use Outlook/Office 365 with the only data retention period being when the users fill up their space allocation (not quite in your league though). I have been trying to encourage our IT team to look at a technical solution to restrict to a date and then auto delete, to no avail so far.

The only mitigation we have to this risk currently is through policy, and me nagging of course.

The Group’s Data Retention policy states:

3.1. Retention General Principle

For any category of documents not specifically defined elsewhere in this policy (or within the publicised RNN Group Data Retention Schedule) and unless otherwise mandated differently by applicable law, the required retention period for such documents will be deemed to be 2 years from its date of creation.

3.2. Retention General Schedule

The Data Protection Officer in conjunction with other managers of the Group, defines the time period for which documents and electronic records should to be retained and full details are made available to staff through the Group’s publicised Data Retention Schedule.

As an exemption, retention periods within the Data Retention Schedule can be prolonged in cases such as:

·         Ongoing investigations from EU authorities, if there is a possibility that records of personal data are needed by the RNN Group to prove compliance with any legal requirements; or

·         When exercising legal rights in cases of lawsuits or similar court proceedings recognised under local law; or

·         Ongoing investigations or storage requirements relating to safeguarding; or

·         Ongoing medical investigations

The references made above are here:

Retention schedule:

https://rnngroupacuk.sharepoint.com/:x:/s/DSAR/ETXbWuDqcxdDl6eL_OgYAioBrWtLaVaH_S0v4nm0o1EfPg?e=FandQP

Policies: