Although I can’t validate this with a reference, it sounds more like a PCIDSS issue than GDPR. Perhaps a case of mixed obligations? Data breach is a term often also used to describe card security breaches.

Mark

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Susan Doe
Sent: 10 January 2020 14:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Payment systems

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and believe the content to be safe. If in any doubt, contact IT Services immediately.

All,
I have a Friday ‘fear I am missing something entirely’ question (there is probably a handy acronym for that).
A contact runs a small business and their credit card payments are taken via a well known payment provider. Latter has emailed to say that they need to take some extra security technology and if they do then they ‘won’t waive their obligation to pay the first 35,000 pounds of any fine for a data breach’.
I realise that companies have to have as much security as is reasonable in order to keep data safe.
I suspect the waiver part is contractual - but as usual the GDPR is being blamed.

I would be very grateful for any enlightenment on this.

Thank you so much and have a good weekend when it gets here,

Sue

Susan Doe

Sent from my iPad
All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html

Disclaimer

National Star, National Star College, StarBistro, StarShop, StarGolf, StarGlamping, StarPrint, StarArts, StarSports, StarTechnology, StarTraining, LiftTraining and Steps into Work are working names of National Star Foundation which is registered in England and Wales, company number 522846, charity number 220239. Registered office Ullenwood Manor, Ullenwood, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 9QU

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]